Saturday, May 5, 2012

How To Maximize Learning

I read an article a few days ago on how to retain 90% of what you “learn”. I put quotation marks around the word learn because I find it counterintuitive to be able to learn something, yet not be able to retain it. Can you really learn something if you do not retain it? What does actual learning constitute? Real learning is the act of taking knowledge and applying it for the improvement of yourself. After all, if you “learn” something but can’t or don’t know how to apply it, does it count as learning? I don’t think so. Then it would be interesting for many to know that the way we learn in schools is actually one of the slowest ways to learn information. To understand this, we have to know what the learning pyramid is. The learning pyramid was made by the NTL Institute in the 1980’s in Bethel, Maine. It showed how much people retain after using several different learning styles. Let’s take a look:





Schools teach using the methods that yield the lowest percentage of retainment. Lectures and reading books are the main ways students are forced to learn. But perhaps there is no other way of teaching myriads of students but through lectures or readings. The most effective way we learn is from teaching others or applying what we just read, seen, or heard immediately. For me, the reason I did a bit of research to find more effective ways of learning is because I wanted to maximize my time I spent studying. I do not want to waste my days away doing something that yields so little actual learning in return. From the example from http://www.psychotactics.com/blog/art-retain-learning/ the way we traditionally learn has students leaking about 90% of information when they read or sit in class listening to lectures. When I am studying for classes, I look over the professor’s powerpoints and notes. I am merely reading the teacher’s notes. It makes sense that I am actually learning very little in my classes if I compare to how much time I spend looking over these notes. From reading the article mentioned, I’ve learned that making mistakes forces our brains to take note of the mistake.

The best way to make mistakes is through teaching someone or implementing what you just read. If we think about it, it all makes sense. When we teach someone it forces us to make connections and to make mistakes. When we realize the mistakes we made through teaching, our brains are forced to make a note of it.

The conundrum that exists however is, can you be teaching someone if you don’t actually know what you are talking about? At first glance it may seem like an oxymoron. But let’s look at it this way. Perhaps it is the act of teaching someone that forces us to make connections, explore topics that confuse us, make mistakes and to correct them, and at the same time, when we are teaching someone, we are using our own auditory and visual aspects to help retain the information. In other words, when we pretend to teach a subject, we retain more than if we just read a book on the subject. Perhaps when I am preparing for my finals, I want to pretend to teach an imaginary-student out loud of the notes that I am going over, instead of just reading over the notes over and over again.



UPDATE: just added this in as of Sunday, 11:44 pm; May 6, 2012 after talking with David while walking Lucky

How exactly should we take advantage of this knowledge? If we read an interesting article and want to be able to retain as much as we can from it, we should teach the contents of the article to ourselves. Again, I don’t believe we have to have a person sitting there listening to what we are “teaching” them for us to retain the information. Again, it is the act of teaching that allows us to retain the information. For me, when I read the article linked above, I wanted to put this idea of teaching others to the test. I took out a piece of binder paper and made an outline of the article paragraph by paragraph. I read the paragraphs most related to each other, went to the paper, and based off what I had read, I proceeded to write down what I had remembered (I would not look at the article when I proceeded to write down what I just read as that would just be paraphrasing and would decrease the chances of making mistakes- mistakes is what helps us retain information). I would summarize what I just read, put in my own thoughts, ideas, and questions, went back to the article to see if I had made any mistakes in terms of information, got any confusion clarified, and repeated these steps for the next few paragraphs for the rest of the article. Lastly, I went over my outline piece by piece and section by section, ran through the logic in my mind without looking at the paper, mulled over the notes and clarified any lasting confusion.

I am confident to say that I have retained a high percentage of information from the article that I pretended to teach to myself as I was able to explain the contents of the “How to Retain 90% of everything you learn” article to my brother as we were walking Lucky. I was also able to retain and teach my brother what I had retained from “The Three Types of Burning Desires and The Three Times in Our Lives When Burning Desire Fades” post I had written yesterday.

When I look back on writing these posts, I ask myself, am I “teaching” myself when I write articles for my blog? When I write, I let my mind flow, ask myself questions, make connections, and make clarifications in terms of what I feel and think about things. I would conclude that although I am learning about myself, I am NOT retaining as much about my own post compared to if I did the outlining process described above for these posts I write myself. Why is that? What’s the difference between letting my thoughts flow, writing them down in a coherent manner vs. outlining my own articles and “teaching” them to myself?

Obviously, because I wrote the article myself, outlining it again and teaching it to myself would only reinforce what I realized about myself, but I believe, when I write down my thoughts, I am merely recording my thoughts. My thoughts come in spurts and it comes it a logical pattern. Thoughts come, questions come up, more ideas come up and I document them. That is how I write these articles. This piece of word document that I am using to type this up is merely a receiver that allows me to record down my thoughts and ideas permanently vs if I didn’t write them down, I would forget the majority of my thoughts as I go deeper and deeper into contemplation. So when I write these articles, I am merely getting down my spontaneous, present, in the moment, and fleeting thoughts and ideas. It’s one thing to remember parts of your trail of thoughts and deeper insights, and another thing to be able to analyze the pattern of my in-the-moment thoughts after I record them down. It is then, when I go back and analyze (teach to myself) my thoughts, feelings, ideas, and questions of my posts that I can retain more of the information.      
      

No comments:

Post a Comment