Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Helping a Homeless Man and His Dog

I want to keep a note here that this past Monday, I gave a loaf of bread to a homeless man with a dog near San Francisco's Tenderloin district. I've seen this man and his dog before this semester. I feel bad for the dog. Besides the adorableness and innocent look of the dog, I wonder what goes through the pooches' mind when he sees a myriad of people, everyday, just walking by them, ignoring them, and unwilling to help. I wonder if the dog knows that they are somehow, inherently looked-down upon and less-worthy. I'd hate that for the dog. I just wish a better life for them. And the last time before I saw the two of them this Monday, I saw the man holding a sign while petting his dog's soft face saying, "We Need Help". As I walked down the street from across the intersection of where they were, I read that and felt horrible. So I bought an organic loaf of bread - not too expensive - and brought it with me to SF Monday to give to them. I guess my wanting to help them is also because of a commercial from Dignity Health that really touched me. It's a scene where a dog is trapped in a flooding canal. The dog is panic-stricken and as you look at the screen and feel terrified for the dog, a Coast Guard - I believe, not exactly sure- attached to a line on a rescue chopper comes to strap the dog in and airlift the pooch to safety. This commercial got to me. I actually imagined myself being in that positioning and becoming a Coast Guard so I could give back to the world in such a emotional time of need for help. So this Friday, I think I am going to give them some leftover dog stuff that Lucky did not use as her time with us right now expired. I want to give back and help others in a true time of need. Even if it means risking my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment