Saturday, September 28, 2013

Struggling to Find Meaning in Social Situations

Sometimes I feel like I struggle to find meaning in social situations. Even in one on one conversations, which are my forte. I wonder if this is more so because I am an introvert. I wonder if extroverts ever struggle to find meaning in their social time, and if so, how often? When I say I struggle to find meaning in conversations, I mean it in the sense of being able to relate to others in having thoughtful, insightful, explorations into the minds of each other, cutting through and past all the superficial small talk that's really just there to fill in the time that otherwise would be considered awkward if spent completely silent. I want to talk about things that really matter to me, which are my interests, intellectual ideas/theories of mine, along with the relationships I have with people, how I feel, and being open, honest, and emotionally intimate with other people. I feel like in my conversation today, I mostly struggled with that. I could not find or transition our conversation past the superficial BS and get into the meat of it. I guess in being emotionally open, honest, and intimate with others, this means telling others how I feel. Including what I feel right now as I write this. It means telling my friends, those that I do want to form deeper connections with, my goals, and what I hope for our friendship. I suppose that means to be straightforward and honest that I struggle to find meaning in social situations lots of times and my goal when meeting together is to have a fun time, but also to get to know each other better on a deeper level. I want us to be able to share whatever it is that inspires us, and are passionate about. I want us to talk about our goals, to feel the vigor of achieving the dream together- no homo intended. I want us to share our past experiences, things that we are not too proud of, things that we fear, things that hurt us, and in essence, things that make us human. I want us to share new, fun experiences together, along with also sharing our pasts. I also want them to know that there may be times when there is nothing to talk about and that I’d rather not say anything and just enjoy being in the moment being them, rather than having to bring up some superficial BS topic that I really don’t care about, just to avoid any social tension. Relationships of any kind do take time to cultivate, but I do really want to get better at this. It’s something I’m definitely going to work on in the future.     

Do I have the time to answer one power question in a week to stimulate interesting, deep conversation?



2 comments:

  1. Hey man. Found your blog this spring, while searching for social and convo materials from Carlos Xuma and stumbled on your post about verbal judo. Nice one. You seem like an interesting guy on the path of self-improvement and I like to connect with people like that, since I am on that path as well. Sorry for the direct post, didn't find a contact form on your blog. If you're interested, reply or send me a mail to my e-mail which is bogbhaal@mail.bg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, and sorry for the late response. I am very much interested in self-improvement as I sense that in you as well. Carlos Xuma is an excellent individual to learn from and follow. Check out David Wygant as well. I highly respect Carlos' work but I would rank David Wygant's work as the most practical and powerful to change one's lifestyle. .

      Delete