Monday, February 17, 2014

Thinking About Freedom and My Life

Legend:
DC QHHT: Dolores Cannon's Quantum Healing Hypnosis Technique Practitioner
DW: David Wygant


Did I go down a path that I truly will be happy with? Is this what I really want? What is it that I really want again? Why did I decide to go to nursing school? Thinking back, I wanted to go to nursing school b/c I was seduced by the idea of working 3 days a week, doing something to help others, making a difference, have good pay, and be able to travel through travel nursing, this idea of making a good living, helping others, and freedom that attracted me to go through nursing school. It seems like there are a few key concepts here that I value: helping others/contribution, freedom to pursue other things that interest me with my time off and good money made. Positive contribution towards helping others, making the world a better place, and freedom. Freedom from a job that ties me time-wise. Freedom from a job that restricts when, and how often I can pursue other interests, whatever they may be, ranging from adventure, to DC’s QHHT, to personal growth (public speaking, overcoming fears, DW). I remind myself of some of my strongest values I want to pursue, that determine ultimate happiness: personal growth in a field that makes me suffer through life; contribution/helping others in a significant, influential way; having strong, intimate, deep relationships with others; and lastly, having the freedom and control over how I want my life to go and directions to take.

The question that now comes to my mind is, is nursing going to get me this, and can I survive and thrive in the nursing environment? This is question needs to take into consideration of the details.

Contribution Aspect:
1.   How much of a positive contribution will nursing opportunities allow?
2.   What type of positive change am I looking to make for people/society?   

Freedom Aspect:
1.      How much freedom do I want?
2.      How much do I want to be location independent?
3.      How many hours a week or days a week will I be content with doing work that contributes to society and helps others (job-wise), before it starts restricting my freedom?
4.      How much adventure do I want? How much travelling do I want to do?
5.      Will nursing jobs burn me out energy-wise (introversion) and constrict how much energy I will have to do the other things I will want to pursue?

Relationships aspect will be handled with time to do DW training and energy as long as not too burned out from on the job-talking. Same with personal growth, need time, and some money.

The problem with most of these questions, is that I cannot know the answers with certainty right now. I will have to monitor and reassess as time goes on, I have a real nursing job, and see how it impacts my life and where I want to go in life. The best bet right now is to think of some alternatives that can get you where you want. DC’s QHHT comes to mind. I probably will not be able to make as much money as an RN. But I guess the key will be my ability to be a minimalist, and save towards what it is I want. My alternative road that can potentially get me where I want to be could be DC’s QHHT. It helps others, sometimes, some more than others. It’s going to be the future of therapy. It would be a good fit for my personality, as it is one on one, requires being a good listener and asking good questions, talking about intimate stuff, with the potential to comfort and help others in a distressful time in their lives.

The main problem I see with nursing right now as a Sr. 2, is that it isn’t 3 days straight, or so it seems, so I’m stuck for pretty much 4 days with only 3 days off consecutively.

Best bet: continue with nursing, see how it is, constantly reassess, but it might be a good idea to get started on becoming a DC QHHT practitioner as well. Re-evaluate how it is working for you in the real world and form a plan. ß ADPIE, the nursing process.

Good ideas from the “can you buy your way out of the rat race” article and others:   

-          You can try to buy your way out for a certain period of time, but it’s definitely hard, and even then, it’s temporary, according to this author.
-          Develop as many skills as possible so you can choose what you want to do and have more control over what job you want to do when, and where you want to go. (Invest in your skills & broaden the types of work you look for) ß so for me, besides nursing, DC’s QHHT practitioner, DW communication skills and confidence, public speaking, teaching English as a second language, blogging
-          Beyond that, learn how to do, make, grow, and find things for yourself (Improvisation)!
-          Be a minimalist: spend frugally and only on things important to you
-          Pg. 16, 17, 29, 32, 37 (quote by Bagnold) of Rolf Potts’ “Vagabonding an uncommon guide to the art of long-term world travel”

Plan: begin working as a nurse in a hospital near a place with relatively good outdoor activities. Start living like a minimalist and saving lots of money, some for adventure sports and others for adventure travel (really rack up the fund). On days off, go outside and pursue adventure activities. Consider beginning the alternatives listed above. After 1&1/2 to 2 years of nursing experience, consider beginning travel nursing or per diem. Remember for travel nursing, you may “You don't have to travel far from home to be a travel health care professional. You can enjoy rewarding travel assignments close to home.” - See more at: http://www.travelnursing.com/nursing-jobs/local-travel#sthash.09nQEjPC.dpuf 

Do your research. After experiencing travel nursing (national and international) and per diem, reassess and see if you feel you have enough freedom to travel. Quick thought: in regards to a listed disadvantage of travel nursing, that being it can get lonely, remember, it’s no different than traveling long term world travel. You will meet lots of new people along the way in your adventures. You just need to remember that it is essentially, the same mindset. Recall that lots of world travelers prefer to travel by themselves as it forces them to meet others and thus, experience lots of things they would not have had if they were not alone. (Rolf Potts, Raam Dev, http://www.justonewayticket.com/2013/01/13/8-steps-to-freedom-how-i-quit-my-job-and-traveled-around-the-world/, http://news.discovery.com/adventure/how-toquit-your-job-and-travel-the-world.htm as just a few examples). After reassessing, and you feel that travel nursing and per diem allows you enough freedom, good. If not, you may need to consider trying to get a sabbatical, or quitting. What would you do if you quit, afterwards you come back from a however long world trip? You can look for another nursing job maybe? Maybe in Yosemite’s Medical Clinic? If not, maybe the DC QHHT practitioner? If not, maybe teaching English in a foreign country like Rolf Potts to save money again before heading out to travel again? Or any other “anti-sabbatical” jobs (Rolf Potts’ Vagabonding book)? What about your adventure sports? That will require more money than just if you were interested in travelling. Then maybe just need to work longer, while being a minimalist. Remember from Rolf Potts’ Vagabonding book, of the importance of earning your freedom. If you didn’t have to work and earn for your freedom, travelling’s value will be diminished. Its satisfaction, diminished. It may take longer, but it is what it is by then. At least you will have thoroughly milked all your hard work in nursing school to see what this avenue (nursing) can bring for you and you are not as likely to regret all the energy and time invested throughout nursing school. When you do go travelling, and you get rid of the apartment you were staying at month to month, maybe you can leave your adventure sports equipment/toys at your parent’s house so you won’t have to pay for a storage space? Because I don’t think you will want to throw away or sell all those toys?

I guess one of the main things is to just constantly reassess your situation and move closer to your goal. You are at the beginning of seeing all these potential options that may get you the freedom and adventure you want, and right now you are feeling anxious about this because you want to see one, right road to take that will get you there, but right now, there’s no way for you to know which will get you there the most swiftly.

You may want to consider starting now, practice being a minimalist. Begin that lifestyle now, because the time for it is here really. Definitely once you get your own nursing job, but since you are about 3 months away from graduation, it wouldn’t hurt to start practicing that lifestyle now.     

The question that comes to me now is, how do I balance my plan to travel and go on adventures with my desire to help others and make a positive difference/contribution in the world? How am I going to best make a contribution to society if not nursing? I guess the first question is, how much of an impact/contribution does nursing make? And in comparison to other jobs? Does nursing help other people? Well we give meds and perform other interventions that either keep the patient safe or help/assist them get better. I just had a thought while writing the previous sentence, it’s not the nursing job that I really do to make a difference, but the act of comforting, helping others in their most vulnerable moment that makes a difference. How often can nurses say they really made a difference today? I can say so when that patient died and I comforted his wife. But on an average day to day basis? Maybe it’s the stuff that helps them get better but the chances of making these types of difference everyday is probably not as likely. The key is your intention and how much love for the other person you put in that makes the ultimate difference/ is what counts. You can be a top ER nurse for a top level ER but doing it all for your own ego and not for the ultimate desire to help someone through their most vulnerable time. For DC’s QHHT, the clients that come to you are usually at a vulnerable moment, and you help them understand themselves, maybe heal them, and you make that connection with them. While in nursing you are helping them get better, but the emotional aspect of it can seem distant, removed, and a bit cold. It’s at the end of the day, what the person who was helped that will say, “I remember that, I remember him, I remember the way that he treated me in one of my most vulnerable moments, that touched me the most. Whether or not the QHHT could heal or not, I will always remember the love that he showed me.” That’s what I really want. That’s the type of difference I want to make. Not just a distant act of giving meds that may or may not help people get better. Not just a “hero” in the sense of putting in an IV for blood to prevent them from bleeding out, because the adrenaline rush and novelty of that may fade and there is no next level to go higher on. Maybe on a helicopter for flight nursing but then what? The real hero is the person who helps others in their time of need by giving them the love and support they’ll never forget about. People will remember the way they were treated above all else.

Like as I write this in the park, there is a guy walking with two crutches in front of me from where I am sitting. Instead of being the guy who put in the IV, if he had a femur fracture, and was bleeding out, I could have been the guy who told him, “Hey, I admire your desire and persistence to get outside and move around even though you have crutches right now. I know you could have easily stayed at home and sit around all day but you chose to come out and I admire that persistence.” It’s an authentic compliment without expecting anything in return back (What David Wygant says to do I think; to give without expecting anything in return) ß doing seemingly little things that brighten up their day exponentially.

I think the DC QHHT and the compliments idea fits my natural talents well also. I’m a great one-on-one conversationalist, especially when it comes to conversation with substance. I’m a great listener, I’m empathic, I’m interested in really making a difference that people won’t forget, and I’m a natural observer. Talk about Gandhi’s quote of, “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”

A life of travel, variety, depth, and adventure is something to fervently experience, but I feel it’s more of a selfish pursuit. The keys to happiness are: personal growth (which includes travel, adventure, variety, depth, and among other things); contribution; and strong, deep relationships (which will be experienced with those you share adventures, commonalities, and values with). But as you can see, the contribution aspect seems to be missing. So somewhere along the way, no matter how it goes, whether nursing allows me the freedom I desire or not, I will need to find a way to contribute. Whether it’s nursing, DC’s QHHT, donating money to organizations that really help others who need it and does not go mostly to the pockets of the organization’s individuals, or any other way, I will need to find a way that right now, I just can’t say for sure.

*look in bookmarks for Opera for websites of how to travel and inspiration

Sunday; February 16th, 2014 

No comments:

Post a Comment