Sunday, December 4, 2011

Why I Love The Lion King And How It Changed My Life

     A Disney movie has changed my life. After watching the lion king in 3d when it came out in September this year, I went home sitting on the couch feeling a void. Something was missing and it seemed like a part of my soul was missing. I thought why I felt like this. Why would this movie make me feel like something was missing in my life? Something deep down, something I’ve wanted all my life. This was not the first time I was thinking this question and it was not the first time I felt this way either. Life felt pointless. What was the meaning to life? I grew up in a very academically focused neighborhood. My parents always told me that doing well in school was important. "Get a high paying job, or your life won't be easy" was something they frequently told me. I could understand what they meant. My parents were raising three kids and our needs were high. How do you get a high paying job? Get good grades they told me. To do this, all throughout middle school and high school, I had hours of homework and studying for tests and the much loathed SATs. My life was boring. Life was mostly focused around studying for topics like English and Calculus, and these topics do not appeal to me one bit. Watching The Lion King in 3D temporarily made me feel the excitement and zest for life young Simba had in the "I Can't Wait to be King" song. Listening and watching that scene, I felt the excitement Simba had for life, his excitement for exploring, going on adventures, and having fun. For that moment, I could live vicariously through that song and feel the freedom and adventure young Simba desired.

The other huge factor that contributed to my feeling of being unhappy with life was my lack of strong, deep, and close connections with people. Growing up, I was shy. Being shy did not help me form many friendships. And the friendships I did have were superficial. With those friends I had, we would never talk about anything deep. It was usually small talk and lighter topics. We didn't talk about any topics that were more meaningful, so my friendships were superficial and lacking meaning. I am in college now and I would have to say that most of my relationships with my "friends" are shallow. I have only had three or four close friends in my life and only one I can see consistently now because, two are at colleges too far away from my university and the other one is in the Navy now. After listening to the song, "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" in the Lion King, I felt a void in my soul created by a lack of deep and meaningful relationships in my life. I felt lonely. I knew people, had supposed "friends", but yet I felt like I had an abyss in my soul. 

I never would have guessed that a Disney movie would help me realize what I truly want in my life. But I am truly glad The Lion King did. The Lion King will forever hold a special place in my heart. Now to make my two dreams of developing deep, close, meaningful relationships in my life and living life feeling alive through the pursuit of adventures and hobbies/activities that excite and inspire me, a reality.      

     

No comments:

Post a Comment