Monday, February 27, 2012

Awkward Telephone Call

I was doing my math homework one evening and I was just sitting there in the chair and I had just called my friend with the home phone regarding the math homework, since we had the same teacher but different periods. I had just called him literally like a minute ago when the home phone rang, and I assumed it was my friend calling back about something. I picked it up and said, “hello?” and he replied, “is this Michael?” And wanting to banter a bit I replied, “Do you think this is Michael?” as I wanted him to guess if it was me or David. There was a slight pause and he replied, “uhh, I don’t know”. At this point I was getting confused. The voice sounded like my friend’s voice, but if this was my friend and if he didn’t know if the person he was talking to was my dad, my brother, or me answering the phone, I assumed he would have said something like, “oh, I need to talk to Michael about the math homework”. The pause had been drawn out for a while between us as neither of us had said anything for several seconds. At this point I don’t remember how the conversation went exactly but I think I replied, “who is this?” and to my surprise, if he was an actual telemarketer, I thought he reacted rather unprofessional, he replied, “who are you?” at this point I felt like it was getting extremely awkward. I didn’t really want to give in because at this point I was pretty convinced this was not my friend calling, so if he was trying to sell me something, I felt like he should have told me who he was. It definitely was an ego issue, but I could just tell my body was all tensed up and I was gripping the telephone like I was holding onto to dear life, and I felt really uncomfortable with the call, so not knowing what to say and wanting to stop feeling that awkwardness, I just quickly hung up. Right after I hung up the phone I just remember thinking, “wow, what was that?” I started to think who the caller just was because I wasn’t expecting any phone calls. I thought to myself, “was that my friend calling or not?” “Is it possible that was my friend?” the voice sounded similar to my friend’s voice but I know his personality and I’m pretty sure if he called my home phone and needed something, he wouldn’t respond to me by saying, “who are you?”. I just remember feeling incredibly awkward after that phone call and just sitting there just telling myself, “nah, there’s no way that could have been my friend.” Turns out I was right as he never said anything about that call and he didn’t react differently to me the next time I saw him at school. In hindsight, I should have handled the conversation better and not let that awkwardness get to me, but oh well, it makes for a funny story at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment