Saturday, June 8, 2013

Updated List of Daily Things To Do To Work Towards My Current Goals


What do I need to do every day (independent of assignments specific for that week) that will distinguish myself and make me a better nurse than those around me?

1. Set up time to go over Professor Debourgh’s notes. Answer any questions you may have through textbook or via internet. Solidify the knowledge; don’t let it just slip away and have to re-pick up all over again due to not touching it for a long time! (Then go over old notes such as Cooper’s Notes from Sophomore II)
2. Go through textbook chapters of class subjects and topics
3. Invest time everyday to study Saunders Comprehensive Review for the NCLEX-RN® Examination, 5e by Linda Anne Silvestri (Author) and Medical-Surgical Nursing Made Incredibly Easy! by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (Author)
(My classmate said that this book is better than our professor’s notes because it gives you exactly the information that you need to know, will remember throughout your nursing career, and doesn’t bombard you with excessive details of pathophysiology like our textbook does)
(2 hours everyday for numbers 1, 2, and 3)
**Should I make it 2 hours a day for more realistic purposes time-wise?
4. Learn and review EKG strip interpretations: EKG’s Made Easy along with prior Professor’s notes
(1 hour everyday)  
5. Go over fundamentals! Meaning study Jarvis book to improve your assessment skills! (ex: Lung Sounds; Abnormal Heart Sounds; percussion, what to look for EXACTLY and understand what is EXACTLY going on with the patient)
(30 min. per day)
6. Invest time to run over the steps of performing Skills in your head. (Ex: Trach. Suctioning, catheter insertion, wound dressing change, etc.) Clarify any questions! 
(30 min. per day)

Weekly:
-          Set up time to review CPR
***Write out nursing goal to-do list in a place where you will easily see it every day. 

For EMT Class:
1.      Practice EMT skills and assessments until solidified (1 hour qday)
2.      Go over class notes
3.      Read textbook sections most related to the most important parts in Miller’s powerpoints; skim over the rest. (For numbers 2 and 3, 1 hour qday)   

Question now is, how much time do I give to each list?
How much studying time does all this entail? 6 hours total everyday without taking into account breaks
How much time do I have in a day with and without EMT class? If I wake at 4:22 AM, and go to sleep at 10:00 PM, that gives me around 17 hours and 30 min. of time awake. For days that I have EMT class, from time it takes to get ready and drive over, go to class, and drive back, that is about 8 hours total. 8 plus 7 is 15 hours used up for EMT class and the time I have allotted to commit to working towards. That leaves me about 3.5 hours of time used for eating, resting/breaks, and other endeavors. On days without EMT class, it is not as much of a problem to pursue other endeavors such as typing Lucky’s story and writing about spirituality and the science behind it.


**after my rant yesterday about ending this blog, how much time do I want to spend typing and writing every day? On either Lucky’s story then on tim oshea, BL, GMO’s dangers, make-up carcinogens, cut poison burn, science of spirituality websites,…

(1 hour 30 min. initially, then just 1 hour qday)

How much time should I spend reading books qday? This is one of the problems I typed up about yesterday, I am not putting in time to write which could take up time for reading these books of interest that I have, but at the same time I want to do both.

(start reading when you’ve finished other stuff you want to write about otherwise when you read, you WILL have ADDED stuff you will want to write about!
1 hour)  

So this adds up to pretty much 8 hours of work a day give and take a bit. This includes no break times. This takes into account of my goal of being a difference making nurse, goal of waking early and being productive with my time, goal of writing about life’s wisdom with the MIT posts in the morning, and my goal of writing about spirituality. Which all of these are my goals I am pursuing right now, not in the near future.




No comments:

Post a Comment