Monday, August 6, 2012

Am I Interesting?, One-Worded Introverts, and Why I Likely Won't Conform to go to Parties


I just came back from walking my dog Lucky, with my brother. I felt we had an interesting conversation and I made some points that were insightful.

-          I once heard Mukhil say, “Noel is so boring. He doesn’t go to any parties”. Noel is an introvert. I haven’t had the chance to sit down with him and really talk about life in private but he doesn’t seem to be a man of many words. Although that is not a fair assessment as introverts tend not to be too interested in everyday small talk. I thought about the statement Mukhil made. I’m not too talkative in general and I don’t go to parties either. Was I boring? At the time, I felt Mukhil may be right unfortunately as one time while with my good friend, I told him, “to be honest, I can’t say I’m too interesting myself, I mean, I don’t have anything really interesting going on right now. It’s all school related stuff that I spend most time on.” My friend’s response intrigued me. He said, “I don’t think you give yourself enough credit. You’re actually quite interesting with the things you think about and the questions you ask.” After telling me that, I felt good and thanked him. Now what’s the difference? How can one individual say that people like me were boring and my friend say the opposite? Was my friend just being nice? The difference lies in personality of the evaluator. Mukhil, although I doubt is an extrovert, is a major conformist and does what he thinks society deems is cool. That means he thinks whoever doesn’t go to parties and do things popular people are supposed to do, are boring. Extroverts get stimulation from the outside world so external events excite and interest them. Through those lens, those who don’t go to parties are according to their definition, boring. While if the evaluator is more introverted, he has a rich inner world full of thought and depth. He may find the inner thoughts, desires, fears, life stories, and deep conversations they have more interesting than going to a party where none of those things listed are abundant. That is the difference. I personally don’t find what the more extroverted individuals talk about very interesting, because I have more introverted tendencies. I have a rich inner mind and love poking and prodding to see what other people are thinking deep down and love to hear about life stories. Therefore an introvert may seem more interesting to me. Whether you find yourself interesting should be based on which of these two lens you pick yourself. I choose to base my level of fascination with myself with the things I think and ponder over, not solely with what external events have been happening with me.

-          In a post some time ago, I said that to have a deeper conversation, it should be best to find more introverted individuals. I still agree with this statement but want to make a clarification. Introverted individuals tend to enjoy one on one conversations more than extroverted individuals but extroverted individuals can make for good one on one conversations as well. There are some introverts who seem to have very little to say. There is one person in my De Anza Mythology class who seems to be like this. I found out he was a marine so I asked him several questions about his motivation to become a marine and why he is no longer a marine. Seems to be a relatively interesting conversation that doesn’t invade too much privacy but he gave one worded answers and he never got going about talking about his experience by any means. I know that introverts tend to prefer having privacy when talking about themselves so perhaps the fact that there were other people around made him hesitate about talking about himself. I know if I were to talk about myself, I don’t like having other people around who can eavesdrop on what I am saying. It could have been a possible reason for his one worded answers. I like talking to people who prefer these one on one conversations that go in depth, have emotional intimacy, and can be decently talkative. I know introverts can be very talkative when it comes to something they are interested in so perhaps finding what they are interested in and discussing things in depth are the keys to getting them talking.

-          My friend that I used to spend time with during the school year on Friday nights and weekends is leaving for Davis. I wondered to myself what I would be doing Friday nights from now on. I made a point discussing how I don’t view college as this great time, or best four years of your life time. I feel that for many conformists who aren’t good at parties or authentically enjoy them due to their more extroverted nature, they feel society says that college is supposed to be this huge party and the pinnacle of human experience. I feel like I can strongly state that I won’t conform because I know I don’t get the stimulation extroverts do from parties, college parties are not likely to be the place to have a personal and logical one on one conversation that I enjoy, and that I view conforming as a sign of weakness. College for me is purely a way to get to where I want to go in life and be able to live a lifestyle focused more on my freedom and pursuit of adventure and relationships. College is not a place for me to live it up. I know that if I work hard, I have a solid plan that can get me to live a life where I can focus more on what I want. My party is after I get my 18 months experience and can start working per diem or travel nursing which can help me attain freedom of time and money. I believe most conformists who try to live it up in college, do so because they know they will have to work a job that ties them down and limits their freedom. I believe they feel that college is their pinnacle of human experience to a certain degree. Whereas I simply do not see it that way. That’s how I view it right now. I certainly hope to find one or two people  I can  socialize with in more "introverted-style" but I think I'd rather keep myself busy and find my way than conform by going to a party where unless I drank, would probably be standing in a corner out of place.                

No comments:

Post a Comment