Sunday, August 26, 2012

Earth Songs: Mountains, Water, and the Healing Power of Nature

I just got back from an open house my mom wanted to see when I turned on the television and switched to see what was playing on KQED. Immediately I was captivated and drawn into the beauty of the mountains and scenery. My first thought was literally, "wow!" as I could not look elsewhere besides the screen for those blissful seconds. Inside myself, I knew that place was somewhere I yearned to be at and experience. I had to find out the name of this documentary. It is called "Earth Songs: Mountains, Water, and the Healing Power of Nature" narrated by Michael York. In this documentary, it taught about the spiritual healing abilities being in nature has. This documentary answered a question that has perplexed me every time I watched a nature documentary and that is, "What is it about nature that I absolutely love and yearn to experience?"


Brian Luke Seaward sums it up well in his blog post:

"There is a good reason why people head to the beaches or the mountains for vacation; being in nature is a great elixir for stress. Oceans, mountains and cathedral forests tend to dwarf our problems into a size that becomes quite manageable. Moreover, taking time away from the stress of everyday life is necessary for better clarity of these problems. Breathing in rhythm to the ocean waves, being caressed by gentle summer breezes, or finding yourself completely mesmerized by the colors of a butterfly or the large eyes of a white tailed deer. Typically, we turn to nature to find a respite for the soul. We come searching for solitude and we return refreshed, renewed and reinvigorated. Due to our love affair (some would even say “addiction”), with technology, many people today have what is becoming known as “nature deficit disorder;” not getting outside enough. For the first time since public records have been kept in the United States, health experts suggest that Americans are becoming Vitamin D deficient (Vitamin D is synthesized via natural sunlight hitting the skin). Vitamin D deficiency can have many health implications. Nature can be a wonderful healing agent for stress, when we take the time to step outdoors and reunite with a world that we never should become separated from.                                                                                          "
http://stressfullyspeaking.blogspot.com/2009/05/healing-power-of-nature.html

I would absolutely love to get a copy of this dvd. I have always wondered why I have such a strong love for nature. This documentary has given me a better idea of why that is.


Link for Earth Songs: Mountains, Water, and the Healing Power of Nature:



No comments:

Post a Comment