Wednesday, August 15, 2012

First Official Time at Yosemite


I am back from Yosemite. Two days of nature’s splendor. I’m not sure how I feel coming back from this trip. There were some things I learned from this trip though. I went quite unprepared. Here is a list of things I will definitely consider bringing and doing next time:

-          Bike to explore Yosemite valley
-          Backpack
-          Binoculars
-          Hiking shoes
-          Swim trunks
-          Sun block
-          Mosquito repellant
-          Weather check
-          Detailed research of Yosemite map, trails, and scenic points of Yosemite

The first day, my mom, brother, and I spent a couple hours driving around and navigating Yosemite Valley. Yosemite Valley is not very big but there were certainly a lot of cars for a Monday. I feel like I wasted time just getting used to the valley. Around 1:30 my brother and I took off in our sandals on the lower Yosemite falls trail, hiked onto the valley loop trail for about 90 minutes to reach Mirror Lake which was sadly quiet dried up. The beautifully immense rock walls surrounded Mirror Lake. They looked close, almost as if I could touch them, but yet looked so grand that for a second, the size, color, and detail of the cliffs seemed to be an illusion. I could feel the warm breeze blowing by my sun-exposed skin. For moments, I closed my eyes and pinched them with my index finger and thumb, only to open them to try and clear up my vision through my contacts. I thought how much greater the sight would have been if I only had perfect vision. Frolicking around by the “lake”- I say that because the lake was dried up to a pond that was one to two feet deep- I basked myself in the peace and quiet of nature and wilderness. With just my brother, and not seeing anyone nearby, I looked around hoping to confirm my security that no animal was in the vicinity. However, at the same time, part of me did want to see a bear in the distance. Turns out, I’m not alone. I can see a few hikers here and there in the distance. I immediately felt safer. By this time, it was around 4:30. I would need about 90 minutes to get back as I had told my mom, who was waiting by the car, that we would be back from our short hike around 6. Slightly disappointed, a knew what I need to do next time I come to Yosemite. I learned that I need to be prepared in terms of the hikes I want to do, the activities I want to participate in, to the equipment I need for the hike and for worst-case scenario survival in case I get lost. On our second day, we stopped by at Olmsted point. There was a warning sign beginning with: “Hiking from Olmsted Point”.

It continues by saying:

“Caution, Tenaya Canyon is a stunning scene. However, hiking through the canyon is extremely dangerous. It may appear to be an easy shortcut to Yosemite Valley, but many have lost their lives in the attempt. Even experienced climbers and mountaineers have found themselves in precarious situations."


As brother, my mom and I climbed to the overlooking point, a view far and wide can be seen:



The warning sign reminded me of the danger and precariousness human being’s love for nature can be. Men climb the highest mountains for the sake of experiencing something so grand and beautiful. Nature can be and was a death sentence for many and it will surely continue to do so unfortunately. On the way back home today after exploring Olmsted Point, Tenaya Lake, and Tuolumne Meadows- all three which were over a span of 40 to 50 miles- my mom asked me why people go to such lengths to experience nature. Initially when she asked me, I didn’t have a reasonable answer. I mean, “Why do people put in effort, time, money, and even risk their health and lives to experience nature?” Is it because we want to be at one with nature? What does that even really mean? For me as I write this, to be at one with nature, personally means to be able to feel a peace, wonder, curiosity, and awe at the sight of being on top of a mountain. But as I was driving home, the sky was filled with patches of light, white clouds mixed with a few grey clouds which combined to reflect the sun’s piercing light off of the peripheries of the white clouds. Parts of the sun’s rays shone through the clouds and illuminated the hills of yellow grass. This image reminded me of times past where I would be sitting in the window seat of an airplane and with my window cover up, I could look out and see a sea of white clouds below the aircraft that would expand as far as the eye could see into the horizon of the beautiful blue sky. The subtle yet noticeable transition of blue in the sky and intricate details of the contrast of white in the clouds rendered me the reason of why people go to experience nature. Nature is detailed and artistic. It is the most beautiful sight in its depth and variety of colors, sounds, and shapes. Few things are truly hard to describe fully with just words. Nature is certainly one.   

Tuolumne Meadows from an adjacent mountain
Tenaya Lake
Half Dome from Yosemite Valley


No comments:

Post a Comment