Friday, August 3, 2012

Mind Mapping: The Best Way to Get the Most Out of Books?


This afternoon, I started researching the topic of men’s rights on my antifeminist friend’s saved posts on Reddit. Throughout my search of men’s rights on reddit, I came across an article called “What’s the difference between the men’s rights movement and feminism?” Having a paper to do on gender inequalities, I read the article and found it to be informative. Yet when I opened a new word document to begin to summarize the article, I found myself struggling to put words down on the page. I just read this article yet I couldn’t really summarize all the informative points that jumped out at me as I read it. Frustrated, I read through the first few paragraphs of the article again, and went back to the document. I found myself paraphrasing the author’s words. It was then when I felt a hidden frustration that has always plagued me when I read books. Reading books is a passive activity for the brain and it contributes a very poor percentage towards retaining information. I thought to myself, “goddamn! What’s the point of reading so many books if I can barely remember anything afterwards?” I remember writing a previous post on my blog about how to retain 90% of what you read. In that post I covered the fact that we learn 90% of what we teach others. I concluded that if we taught ourselves, in this case, the article I was reading, I would be able to retain 90% of it.

As I began doing this with Jared White’s article on the difference between men’s rights movement compared to feminism, I read a sentence, looked away and tried to repeat what I had just read. Disappointingly and frustratingly, I even had trouble repeating the sentence word for word with moments thinking to myself, “did I word that right?”, only to look at the sentence and see I had used different words to describe the same meaning. I knew intellectually that the sentence I had paraphrased based on memory had the same meaning, but a huge tension of stress harped on my shoulders as I thought how frustrating it was to try and learn through reading. Sadly, there was a part of me that wanted to give up on reading books due to their poor lack of retain-ability. I wondered what I would do with my time if I gave up on books. Would I just watch television? “What a horrible way to spend my time!”, I thought to myself. What was I going to do though? I yearned to learn things and improve myself but the methods I’ve learned from schools to use are horrendous towards actual learning!

Frustrated, I googled “what is the most effective way to learn something you read”. I clicked on “How to Learn (Almost) Anything” here: http://litemind.com/learn-anything/


Reading this article did not give me any new ideas as it was similar to an article I had read previously. As I was about to hit the back button, I saw a related post called “How to Recall an Entire Book in 5 Minutes or Less” that you can find here: http://litemind.com/how-to-recall-an-entire-book-in-5-minutes-or-less/



This article introduced me to the idea of creating a mind-map after reading. From the looks of the article, I am intrigued at how great this method seems to be at retaining from books. Perhaps this is the most effective way to learn from reading. I’ll be trying the method of mind-mapping and see how it goes.

What is Mind Mapping? (and How to Get Started Immediately)
http://litemind.com/what-is-mind-mapping/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment