Saturday, December 7, 2013

Done With Second to Last Semester of College & What I Want To Be

It’s 9:53 PM right now of December 7th, 2013. It’s a Saturday night, but I’m not out doing what most 21 year olds are doing on a Saturday night. I don’t really care to. What I do care about is what I want my life to be like. I have thought about this in detail before but not of any recent time lately. Today was my last day of Finals, and thus, my Senior One semester has come to an end. I only have a semester left of my four year nursing program. It’s been a long haul. It’s been trying, and I can’t say it hasn’t been tough. But being right around the corner now, makes me think about my life again. I needed to remind myself of where I am going in life, what I want to see myself doing, why I went to nursing school in the first place, and whether my view of my goals and dreams have changed, now nearing the end of my career as a student - especially since I feel there is little chance that I will want to go to graduate school.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoq6jNBtNtw&

I want to live a life on my terms. I just saw a YouTube video called “What It Takes to Be an Adventurer”, posted by National Geographic. It was reminiscent of the pure freedom, adventure, and the excitement one would see in those GoPro Camera commercials, depicting those who live life with the desire to pursue what makes them feel alive. There is a commercial on television that asks people what they would do if money was no object, and it disappointed me due to the fact that the responses people were giving out were lackluster, and not seriously well-thought out. I mean no disrespect, and if your dream is to be a pie-maker, then go at it and live that dream! Regardless, I know what I would say. I want to be a worldwide explorer and adventurer. Bear Grylls; Rolf Potts; Raam Dev; Jimmy Chin, a photographer for National Geographic, are all idols and role-models I highly respect. They all put it out on the line to live their dreams. I want to live a mix of what all these guys do. I want to explore the world, and live in the moment. I want to be a vagabond, exploring the world extensively at my own pace, and embracing the moment and the people I am with, along the journey. I want to read about and truly understand the indigenous people, the place, the significance of where I am at, to give proper perspective to the enigmatic, yet wonderful place I am sojourning at. I want to be dedicated to living a life that I love, even if it means there may be difficult times. Becoming a nurse is supposed to be a powerful step that opens doors towards gaining the money and time (Freedom) free for my endeavors. I plan to work about two years first, with just the two weeks vacation a year – such ridiculousness, the amount of time off American workers get – with three days work and four days off. I want to begin to explore the adventure hobbies and adventure sports that I can pursue around me during that time. Once then, I can choose to become a travel nurse, and get three months a year off to do whatever I please, and see how that fairs. All this while living a minimalist’s lifestyle of expunging everything in my life that holds me down mentally, physically, and only focus on the things in life that are truly important to me. Maybe after a while, I’ll choose to work Per Diem, thus being able to be more of a boss of my own schedule. I do want to become a flight nurse one day so if I can’t travel as much then, it may be a sacrifice I’d have to make but flight nursing is definitely something I want to experience as well. All this while, during my free time, I also want to be working on myself, the personal growth aspect. As stated on “My Goals” page, personal growth, contribution to others/society, and deep, meaningful relationships with others are the keystones to happiness. Times will be tough and many things will not go as to plan, but by God, the journey towards one’s utopia vision of life, is truly to be looked forward to and to sweat, bleed, and sacrifice for! This type of future I envision will certainly be, nothing short of an adventure!   


To Read About Raam's Experiences: 



No comments:

Post a Comment