Thursday, March 8, 2012

My Most Memorable Yearbook Comment

A typical myth of introverts is that we don’t like people, we don’t want to be bothered, and are unfriendly. We tend to be viewed as quiet and hostile. In fact, my senior year economics teacher in high school read my college entrance essay where I talked about how shyness affected my past, and for my yearbook, this is what she wrote:

“Michael,

I’m glad my time spent writing your letter of rec paid off! Haha. Thanks for asking me to write it. At first, I was like, what the heck, what am I going to write about this guy- he never talks in class. Thanks for being open and honest in the information that you gave me to work with. Writing the rec really helped me get to know you, especially after I finished writing it because it helped me talk to you and understand how to connect with you. I’m glad I was able to support you through basketball too! It was a lot of fun and I’m glad you kept with it, even if it was tough. Keep always reflecting on who you are and having the courage to be bold with people, especially next year! First year in college is always the best time to make friends because nobody knows anyone. You have a great sense of humor and the others will love it if you show it. You’ll be great!”

“Let me know if you ever need anything! Congratulations on finishing high school!”
- Ms. Hwang

To be honest, I remember the moment she was passing out all the yearbook comments she had written for every student in the class, and I thought to myself that she was probably going to mention something related to shyness. I read it and the feeling I had that moment can only be described as a tingling sensation that emanated from my chest and it came across my body towards my arms and I could feel the hair on my body standing up. Deep down, I felt warm and soft. Her comment shall always be the most special and memorable comment in my yearbook- not that I had many comments in my yearbook though.

No comments:

Post a Comment