Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Conversational Aikido


Read this first:


My own practice scenarios when it comes to conversational aikido:
_______________________________________________________________________



Him: “You’re gay!”

You: “Okay, and you’re an _____” (any of these can work: iguana, mouse, monkey, rabbit, squirrel, flying spaghetti monster, cucumber, alien) ß he jokes with you, you joke back. If he tries to fire back with either option two or three below, you expose his game.  

(Option 1) Him: “Huh?”

(Option 2) Him: "Yeah, dude, but you're still gay..." (Trying desperately to get a laugh so that he doesn't feel his value lowered. He looks insecurely at his buddies one-by-one to see if they are still responding. Pitiful.)

(Option 3) Him: “Yeah? Well you’re a _______. (Any derogatory name)”

You: “You know what? I see what you are doing here. You are trying to get a laugh at my expense. You keep doing that. You’ll eventually find someone who is impressed with your immature comments. You keep doing that. I’ll be elsewhere. Later, dude.”

_________________________________________________________________________________


Example from:


My Practice Responses:

Him: “You’re doing well little buddy, why don’t you go be a sport and get me and this lovely girl a drink?”

Strategy: Identify his underlying emotion that motivates him to try and intercept your date and call him on that. In this case: jealousy

(Option 1) You: “Wow, that’s clever man! You are a clever guy! Trying to catch me off guard with such an underhanded question! You keep doing that man, it’ll work…uh…eventually. We’ll be elsewhere now. Bye.”

(Option 2) You: “That’s the best you can do? Look man, I know you may be a bit jealous of us here but you seem like a decently nice guy! Aren’t there any other women who may be interested in you?”

(Option 3) You: “Look man, I know you may be a little jealous about us since we are having a great time here but I’m sure you wouldn’t appreciate being interrupted during a date either. Give us that common respect please and carry on with your day.”

(Option 4) You: “You want to buy both of us a drink? That’s great man! I can’t thank you enough!”

Main strategy: Do not react. Maintain a rational calmness, deflect and redirect his comment by bantering back if you can (avoid back and forth banter though as that would get you caught up in the game of being Mr. On the Spot Witty Guy), and call him out and expose the game he is playing to destroy his ability to make you look bad.  
________________________________________________________________________________


In this next case, this guy is a guy I know and play football with who every once in a while makes some cocky comments although it is unjustifiably so. I am after all, a taller, stronger, better conditioned, and faster athlete with more skills and confidence than him when it comes to basketball and football.

Him: “Look man, why don’t you guys punt the football? You guys aren’t going to make it.” (Relatively close to the end zone, on the last down)

You (Option 1): “Is that your only means to try and stop me since you know I’m bigger, stronger, faster, and a better conditioned athlete?”

You (Option 2):“Wow, am I really that unstoppable that you feel the need to make arrogant comments to try to stop me?”

You (Option 3): “Is that comment born out of ignorance, stupidity, or both?”

Now assuming the individual is similarly matched and makes that comment:

Strategy: Jokingly give in and blow it to an extreme.

You: “Yeah man, I’ll probably trip and fall and step on your face while I’m at it dude. So you better watch it.” (Eye roll)

If I wanted to expose his game: ask yourself, what underlying emotion motivated him to make that comment? In this case, if he is equally matched, it’s likely he has an ignorant and arrogant attitude towards others in general. 

You: “Look dude, you may be a good player but someone needs to teach you some humility. You may be able to get away with it with others but not with me. So save your cocky comments for someone who is impressed with your pompous and belittling crap because I most certainly, am not.” (Walk away)

Him: “That sounds rehearsed and inauthentic.”

You: “You’re right! But that doesn’t distract me from the fact that you are a cocky individual and I do not stand for that.”

Him: “I don’t care what you stand for!” (rude and disrespectful)

You: “I certainly hope you do not believe that. For you would be an individual lacking in morals.”
________________________________________________________________________________




Situation: A guy I know (who I’m not terribly fond of and who comes talk to me regularly when I’m in the gym) is sitting with two friends of mine and a girl at a table in the conversational area studying. I’ve been talking with my two friends and having a good time. The conversation with my two friends isn’t over, and he quickly and abruptly looks up from his table and says:

Him: “Can you go away?”

Strategy: You call him out on his underlying reason and motivation.

You: “I’ll go away if you really need to study but there’s no need to be rude about it. Btw, are you saying that more out of motivation to study? Or to seem more alpha for that girl sitting there?”

Knowing him, his most likely response is to just quickly say, “No!” But let’s say he doesn’t. How would you handle this scenario?

Him: “WTF, Are you trying to embarrass me?” (Situation Escalating; Need to Deescalate)

A response like, “Well, tell me, were you rude to me because you really felt the need to focus?”, will only escalate the situation. This is a defensive response that the person attacked won’t want to hear. These are the four steps to deescalate the situation:

1.       Hold your ground and breathe deeply.
2.       Break their pattern if they are screaming and out of control by repeating their name.
3.       Paraphrase to show empathy as discussed below in the youtube video of Verbal Judo: Diffusing Conflict with Conversation
4.       Focus on a Solution, close, and maintain peace

Appropriate response to deescalate:

You: “(His Name), look, I hear that you’re angry. I got that. And let me see if I’ve understood you here. You’re feeling angry because you feel like I put you down in front of your peers on purpose. Is that true?”

Let him modify the feelings or reasons.

You: “Alright (Name), I understand you feel _____ because I ______________. I apologize.” (Walk away)


____________________________________________________________________________________________



Situation: This was back in senior year of high school where a junior in my Calculus AB class made a huge scene about me not knowing how to play Texas Hold’ Em near the end of the year.

Him: “You don’t know how to play Texas Hold’ Em?!” OR “What have you been living underneath a rock?!”

I didn’t know how to respond. This is how I should have responded:

(Option 1) You: “Look, this is something that most people know how to do, while I don’t, so I’m sure you can understand why I don’t appreciate you making a scene out of it.” (Calmly)

(Option 2) You: “Why do you feel the need to attack me to make yourself seem better?”

Him: “I’m not attacking you! I’m just shocked that you do not know how to play?!” Go to the condescending apology game slightly below.

(Continued from Option 1) If he continuous:

Him: “Wow, I just cannot believe it though man!”  

This is another game Carlos Xuma talks about in his Power Social Skills Program. It’s the Condescending Apology Game. They are trying to defend and justify themselves. They are hoping they are going to slip that dig/ slight insult by. You need to make them clarify their point.   

You: “I’m sorry, that doesn’t really sound like an apology.” OR “I’m sorry, were you apologizing there? You didn’t really say you were sorry and were implying that it was still somehow my fault? I don’t understand. Is it my fault? Or what are you trying to say?”


Get them to clarify on what they are saying.
_________________________________________________________________________________


Another Strategy: get them to clarify what they mean.

Ex: I was working out at the NW YMCA when a trainer that talk to with made a comment that seemed to be an unfriendly attack but at  the same time, I did not know what he meant. He was walking with a friend of his when he walked past me next to the cable flys machine and said:

Him: “This guy is such a tool”

This is how I responded:

You: “What does that even mean? What does that even mean?” I proceeded to ask his friend: “What do you think that even means?” His friend did not want to get involved and smartly said, “I’m staying out of this”, in a non-hostile tone of voice.  

I then proceeded to respond:

You: “Oh well, an effective tool if anything.” (In a nonchalant manner while turning around and walked away)
 I hindsight, I think I handled the situation decently. He didn’t get away with making that comment as I confronted him on what he meant and he decided not to clarify what he meant- hence him backing off.   
_________________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment