Tuesday, July 3, 2012

My Example of the 5 Steps



Verbal Self-Defense in the Workplace:

Situation: In the middle of performing head to toe assessment on patient when he says:

Patient: “Stop touching me. Get out.”

Use 5 steps-method as shown in youtube video.

You: “Sir, with all due respect, finishing the head to toe assessment is important to ensuring the improvement of your health and the monitoring of your signs and symptoms. I need you to be patient with me. Okay?”

Him: “No, I don’t want you to touch me! Go away!”

You: “Okay, I hear that you’re angry. I got that. Let me see if I understand you correctly. You’re feeling angry because you feel like I don’t care about you and I’m just here to do my job and leave. You feel like you’re not as independent as you were prior to getting sick. Are any of those reasons true?”

Let him modify the feelings and/ or reasons. If he says nothing, continue with:

You: “Look, I know that you’re angry for reasons that you won’t tell me. The truth is, I’m on your side. I’m here to do what’s necessary for you so you can go home. You don’t want to be here. You want to go to your own home, kick your feet up on your table, eat your own food, relax on your sofa, be with your family, sleep in your own bed, get up on your own time, I want that for you. Now you can sit here and be as uncooperative as you can be, but you will only be prolonging the time you will be spending in here. And you don’t want that. Let me help you get out of here. Let me help you get better faster.”

No comments:

Post a Comment