Monday, July 8, 2013

Challenging Myself and Bear Grylls's Get Out Alive


I'm sitting here watching the first episode of Bear Grylls' new series on NBC, Get Out Alive. I love the challenge and what the show stands for. It's the same reason why I love watching military selection documentaries. It documents the heart, determination, and desire of men and women who do whatever it takes to see their goal realized. I read on Steve Pavlina's blog that the key to self-discipline is to break down a large goal into many small target objectives to hit, and to concentrate solely on that target objective one at a time. The Pararescue Jumpers documentary documenting candidates going through what they call "the pipeline" is nothing but about focusing on the task at hand. Not thinking about the future and what you will have to do, but focusing on the task right now. The contestants on Get Out Alive are talking about leadership, something the military teaches and is all about as well.


In talks about self-discipline, I have for three weeks now been subscribed to Brian Kim's Mechanical Self-Discipline Subscription. Today, just not too long ago, I went for a run at my local middle school with a great track and pull-up bars. I recently have changed my workout from lifting weights to doing more endurance, strength exercises that I need to do to train myself for future hobbies such as mountain climbing and rock climbing which require a strong body weight to strength ratio. Military men are built similarly from what I understand. They have great endurance cardiovascularly, endurance strength-wise, and focus on moving past the pain. Read Mountaineering- Freedom of the Hills and you will know that mountaineering has been called, "the art of suffering". Nonetheless, I just wanted to write about the cardio workout I did to challenge myself to ever so gradually increase and develop my level of fitness while becoming as light as possible, which is my new workout goal.

So I ran one full superlap, which is just one full time around the largest track around the school, did 20 push-ups, 6 pull-ups, and began my next superlap. Then once I completed the superlap, I did another 20 push-ups followed by 5 pull-ups. Then I did another superlap, 20 push-ups, and 5 pull-ups. I was beat afterwards. Pooped. Drained. Heart racing. But a challenging workout nonetheless. And that's that I want of myself. To challenge myself and to overcome that challenge.

I aim to do a workout like this everyday. I may just be dreaming here but life is all about improvement for me. I hope not to disappoint myself. But even if I don't, just pick it up and get going again. Remember what you learned from Brian Kim Michael, it doesn't have to be perfect, just keep at it though. Taking persistent action, despite failing to reach your objective for certain days is something you need to develop habitually if you want to learn self-discipline.

*BTW I learned today that it's better to have the self-discipline to do a little bit everyday than to cram so much within a short time frame. Typing Lucky's story has really taught me that. It's pretty much done. I'm just need to edit and finally, post!



No comments:

Post a Comment