Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Part Ten: Making The Decision

Post First Originally Published On Tuesday, July 9th, 2013, 7:08 PM


Sunday morning, where do I start from the memories I have of this day? To be honest, on Friday morning, before she finally urinated with our help, she had not urinated in about two days, and it would be a lie if I told you I was not contemplating about putting her down that day. Just from my own experience where I had to hold in my pee due to a lack of bathroom for over 30 minutes to an hour only, it felt downright painful and everlasting. I could only imagine how Lucky was feeling, having not gone in more than an entire day! I would look at her face and see her sitting or laying in one place, save for moving a couple inches this way or that way, or changing positions the best she could have, and say to myself, “My god, she’s got to need to need to pee!” The only times where I could ascertain for certain when she was in pain was when she would whine, to which I would go next to her, pet her, and say to her: “I know you need to go badly Lucky, I know.” I would discuss with my brother about giving another attempt to use the towel method to help her up, but Lucky would make it clear to us that she did not want us to do that. I would think in my mind that we had to do it whether she liked it or not because it must be done to save her. I don’t know if dogs know that “death” is something that happens to all. I know dogs are intelligent creatures and I am sure they are much smarter and cognizant than most scientists give them credit for. So as one can see, there was no win-win solution. I would either have to try again to force her up against her will, while trying my best to protect myself, or hope that when she could not bear it anymore, she would urinate on herself. But when I thought these thoughts to myself, I was reminded to what we talked about Thursday night. If it gets to that point, what’s the point of keeping her here for a little longer? My brother would say, “There’s no point keeping her here in a diseased body and in pain just so we could selfishly see her for a little longer.” Based off my beliefs of spirituality and what I’ve learned to bolster my beliefs, I knew he was right.

I guess the ultimate decision was made when I called a nearby veterinary hospital which had emergency services. We had tried to get her up again but she would resist and even bite. I remember my brother saying that morning after our failed attempt, with his hand on her, “Sorry, you’ll understand.” In case you don’t know what I mean here, if you’ve read about past life regressions and “the other side”, you’ll know about the life review, which is talked about in Dolores Cannon’s books and many other past life regression and spiritual-related books. So after another failed attempt, I knew I was deep down, becoming frantic. So in haste, I called the veterinary hospital and was jumbling thoughts together in hopes that perhaps they would catheterize her to expel the urine like ER nurses would do for a patient. Of course I knew this was a very temporary solution, even if it could be done. Again, I was grasping at straws. On the phone, I relayed Lucky’s situation to the woman on the other line. I told her that Lucky had not urinated in more than two days. Then, the sentence that would seal my decision: “Her bladder could rupture!” I had previously researched a bit about this, wondering if it was truly possible. From what I had researched, there was no substantive evidence to say for sure that bladders would rupture versus the bladder automatically expelling after the threshold reached its maximum point. When I heard these words, I immediately asked, “Can that really happen?!” Once I heard this, in my mind, there was no choice left for me. I love my dog very much. I remember a Dr. Phil episode where a guy got some flak from the audience for saying his love for his mistress – or whomever, I don’t remember exactly – was like the same amount of love one would have for a dog. I bring this up to remind that our love for our family, friends, pets are not incomparable in the sense that one is greater than the other, but that our love for each of these are different and by themselves stand. They are different currency. They are different types of love. They are not, and don’t have to be comparable.

I knew that Lucky was in pain, and the thought that she could rupture her bladder and be in an indescribable more amount of pain, to which if it happened, I would be completely, utterly powerless, useless, emotionally shocked, devastated, and damaged, there simply was no option left. We would try one last time, to hope for a miracle. To hope that she would allow us to at least help her go to the bathroom, to see if we could buy more time. With Lucky positioned in the kitchen on her mattress, I hoisted the towels underneath her belly up just a bit and I could tell that Lucky was quick to the attention. She did not want us to. Frustrated, and feeling like we were reaching the end of rope of options, we knew we needed to make a decision. We left Lucky, who was in the kitchen, now off her mattress and adjacent to the opened backyard door, which in our haste to make a decision weighing the risks of prolongation, we decided to leave wide open to the backyard. My dad was home, I don’t remember where exactly, so I figured my normally cautious mom did not bother to think much about closing the door. My brother, mom, sister, and I went onto the van to talk about this. We talked about the situation at hand, how she had not gone again in more than two days, how Lucky would not allow us to help her for whatever reason, how she could rupture her bladder, how utterly futile I would be if that occurred, how damaged I would be if I had to witness Lucky in that inhumane amount of pain. We talked again about what Dolores Cannon has found and stated with conviction to my mom and sister that we know that death isn’t the end, and how “death” is not at all to be feared because the death of who we really are cannot die. How the soul, not the physical body, is what makes us who we are. What we feel when we think of that person or animal, and feel that love for them, that is not a result of how they appear and feel in a physical body, but what your relationship you have built with them has been like, and the things that you love and hate, are all what makes you, you. From the reasoning I’m making, over many other lives, we look different, but does that really make it who you are? Absolutely not! We all look different through our many lives, but I am me, regardless if I’m male, Chinese, 5’11’’, and so on.

I remember sitting in the van, thinking, and realizing the moment. The moment in time. After Lucky was whining again in the morning, and after my brother and I made our honest assessments of the situation, my brother found an at home euthanasia service. My brother and I had taken more pictures of her that morning in the kitchen where her mattress was situated. There is a picture of her faced towards the door, towards a completely bright, blue, sunny sky, which was a first in a couple days. I think a part of me knew that this was the day. One big reason why in my heart of hearts, knew that today was the day, and that today would be the best day to do it, was that tomorrow was going to be the 31st, the last day on the year. I knew fireworks would be going off. I knew Lucky would be terrified, and in her stationary state filled with pain, and not being able to go hide like how she used to do around July 4ths, it would be a massacre! An utter massacre! There was no way that it could have or would have turned out decent, never mind well.

Certainly a tough moment when I knew the decision was made. I shake my head while writing this. I guess because it’s just one of those decisions that have such far reaching consequences and outcomes. My brother had already called the euthanasia service to see if they had availabilities that morning, just to see. Turned out, the service was quite busy that day. Many people were putting their pets down. Normally not a comforting thought, but I guess knowing, realizing, and remembering the fact that life is coming into planet earth every day, as well as many people, animals, plants, and all of life leaving everyday is somewhat comforting. From a grand scale of things, we realize that “birth” and “death” happen all around the world, every single day, and every single second. It’s just many souls returning home. I think of it this way, not to trivialize life. In fact, just recently becoming vegetarian and thinking of going vegan, along with my decision not to kill insects that get trapped in my house, but to release them outside, show how much I value all life. I think of it this way because it is true. Winners tell themselves the truth. To say otherwise would not be true!  

As we went back inside the house after our final decision, my brother looked through the window as we walked past the front gate, expecting to see Lucky in the same position as we left her. He yelled in surprise that he did not see her where we left her. We looked. She was in the backyard, situated below the step! A good two to three feet from where we left her! With the four of us in the car, there are only two possibilities how that could have happened. She either moved by herself or my dad had dragged her down, to which this latter possibility, I highly, highly doubt based off knowing him, his values, his personality, and our relationship. My mom mentioned that she was a good girl for moving outside to do this, whether by coincidence or some enigmatic intuitiveness.   

In regards to the at home euthanasia, we decided that my mom, sister, brother, and I would part farewell about 30 minutes prior to the euthanasia servicer getting here – to avoid the reality of the situation from setting in - and go to a mall, an area with a lighter atmosphere. We would go to a place with company, an environment that would not isolate ourselves and allow us to think and let our minds wander into darkness. My brother knew this, and it was his idea. In my mind, I was planning to go to a parking lot where we would watch Dolores Cannon Videos and listen to interviews of her on Coast to Coast AM. But I realize now that my brother’s idea was better. It was more suitable to keeping my mind in a positive, right state of direction, than what my idea would have most likely have yielded. My dad would be the one to be there when it happens. He would let the euthanasia servicer in and sign the documents. My dad was the best person to do this. He is a kind-hearted person. He neither loves nor hates pets. He never developed a relationship with Lucky outside of letting her out, maybe a rare, couple times a month. He never walked her, fed her, or played with her. I do not say this to belittle him for not doing so. Really! The fact was that before we ever got Lucky, back all those years, we knew that he was not a fan of dogs, pets, and that if we got a dog, we would be the caretakers and owners of the dog. So because of this dynamic, or lack of dynamic, he was the best candidate to carry this out unaffectedly. I asked my mom about it before, why dad seems to be able to be stoic in the face of all this. My mom said that it wasn’t so much that he didn’t feel anything, but more a way that their generation grew up in and faced when it came to death of a loved one. When we informed him and our plan, he did not argue it one bit. I could tell he understood, and deep down, I thanked god that he was so stoic about it. 

My brother made the call to the euthanasia service outside. I waited inside and paced back and forth. I didn’t want to hear him choose when it would happen. Even with my beliefs of spirituality, to mark the time when it would happen, that may have overwhelmed me into tears. My brother was the leader, he was the ultimate calm in the storm. Through this time of strife and difficulty, I felt a whole level of new found respect for him.




No comments:

Post a Comment