Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Part Four: The Beginning of the Nightmare

Post First Originally Published On Tuesday, July 9th, 2013, 6:56 PM


On Tuesday, August 14th, 2013, we had just gotten back from Yosemite. Lucky had her routine annual scheduled check-up on the 17th, just a few days before my Junior One semester of college was starting. So we left and drove to Lucky’s veterinarian clinic. When we got there, Lucky was hesitant about going in, as always. I do remember feeling a little uneasy myself before going into the vet clinic. Call it just an analysis-after-the-fact or an intuition, a thought of “this isn’t going to be just any other visit” ran in and lingered in my head uneasily. Feeling something was just not right, I went in, hoping these thoughts would be unfounded. When we got into the check-up room, this feeling of “something is just not right” nagged at me more. The room was small, cramped together, and may have contributed to my anxiety. It was a warm day. The air in the room felt stagnant and stale. The veterinarian came in and began his checkup. Everything seemed okay until Lucky winced at something. Alarmed, I became more worried. The vet had not accidently stepped on her or done anything in particular to warrant such a response. She was running a fever and found out she was bleeding. I saw the wound and blood parched skin near her private area and under belly area. Horrifying. Unlike a nightmare in a dream I thought I was dreaming. I felt like I was in a twilight state. I was zoning out and could not believe what I was seeing and hearing. The vet was trying to palpate the wound only to see Lucky react in pain. It was unbearable. I heard the doctor say that this will require surgery. I heard that last word: surgery. Oh my god. I seriously thought this wasn’t happening. I feared this because I knew my dad was not going to support surgery that cost exorbitantly for my dog. A small surgery, the veterinarian said. He said it would cost several hundred. Upon hearing these words, I blew a small mental relief. I knew the money for this surgery would be provided by my dad. The doctor said that she needed surgery to remove the necrotic tissue from the area that was infected. The culprit of the crime? Foxtails. Once I saw these sharp and entangled torpedoes in her fur near her belly, I realized where they had come from. They were from our backyard that we had redone in April. We were renovating the inside of the house and also had the backyard redone. This meant removing several large trees that gave our backyard its wooded-like atmosphere. And as a result from the sudden new exposure from the sun and heat, the backyard turned into a yellow field of what I thought was just yellow grass that you see in the hills of sun-exposed open mountain terrain. Needless to say, I never once walked through the sprouting foxtails myself or else I would have known how dangerous these foxtails were. So there I was, stunned at what had transpired. We had to leave her there overnight to do the surgery. She was terrified with what was going on. We could only tell her in English and say to her, “don’t worry Lucky, we will be back!” hoping to get some feeling of security through to her to console her anxiety. We had to drag her into another part of the clinic which looked a lot like a kennel for her to stay until the next day. We all told her that we would be back. But our words seemed like they may have fallen on deaf ears as she did not seem to understand our words unsurprisingly. On the drive home, my mom, brother, and I were all silent in the car. I don’t know what they were thinking, but I was fuming away in my mind. Fuming that these weeds had injured and caused such pain to Lucky. As soon as I got back home, I stormed out into the backyard and said to myself that I was going to annihilate all these weeds so they could never harm her again. My mom said that she would be hiring some yard workers to get rid of them and to save my energy. It was hard to know which emotion to focus on. Whether to focus on the anger I felt towards these weeds or focus on the anxiety I felt of how Lucky was doing and her upcoming operation. Was she calm yet? Was she still terrified? What kind of surgery were they going to do? How invasive was it going to be? Would she get complications from the surgery? I then realized that this injury to her was not completely unforeseen. The week before the trip to Yosemite National Park, my brother and sister had noticed and pointed out to the family that there were a few dried blood drops on the floor of our new kitchen tiles. Being a nursing student, I immediately thought that perhaps my dad, who has type 2 diabetes, may have stepped on something sharp and his foot was bleeding a bit without him knowing, which can be a result of peripheral neuropathy that can happen to patients whose diabetes is not under control. So I went to check his feet and found no signs of bleeding. My sister actually said that it was from Lucky so I went to check her paws, to not find anything either. So I dismissed the notion that there was something wrong and reveled in the idea of going to Yosemite for the first time in years. So consumed with these thoughts, I decided I needed to take my mind off the anxiety. I played NBA 2K12, but to little avail. It would be fair to say that much of the time that I was playing, I was simply going through the motions of playing. I didn’t know what else to do to release the stress. So I sat there, going through the motions, and waited.

As one can expect, I was beyond eager the next day to get Lucky out of that dreaded veterinarian clinic. Back then, my regular waking hour was around 12, but I woke up early to get her out of there. We were there by 10, when they opened I believe. When we had signed in at the front desk, and the doctor released her into our care, she was bolting and ready to head out the door. And that’s what we did. My brother and I waited outside with Lucky while my mom finished up any paperwork. She was panting and I could tell she was still anxious after all that time there. I sat in the back of our sedan with her, petted her head, and told her everything was going to be alright. We were bringing her home and hoped this was the end of it.

She went back in for a follow-up appointment two weeks later on Friday, August 31st, 2013 with everything apparently okay.

Oddly, No more than a few days later after the follow-up appointment, she began limping on her right hind leg. I thought it was perhaps from a reopening (dehiscence) of the wound healing from the surgery. We examined her surgical site several times to find no obvious signs of incomplete closure. We decided to wait to see if would get any better on its own. One Friday afternoon, I asked my mom on the way back if Lucky’s leg was getting any better. She told me that she felt it wasn’t and in fact was getting worse. I didn’t want to admit it, but my brother and mom felt we needed to take her to the vet again.

The vet clinic, I can understand why people loathe hospitals. Places of disease and death. Places where good news and good feelings are just not abundant. Friday, September 14th, 2012. Of course Lucky was petrified of being there again; no judgment when I say that whatsoever as I can understand why she felt that way. The same veterinarian examined her wounds as we tried to soothe Lucky who we had to try and pin to the floor in as nice a manner as we could. He couldn’t find anything. He checked the Range Of Motion of that leg and compared it with the other leg. He couldn’t truly make a good call from his assessment. He recommended we take an x-ray to see what was going on. We reluctantly agreed, knowing that it had to be done to get to the bottom of what was going on. The entire procedure would take about 15 minutes. My brother and I waited outside the clinic, discussing what we thought it could be. Osteoarthritis? Rheumatoid Arthritis? Didn’t seem exactly right though based off the symptoms. I didn’t know what else this would be besides the conclusion that was lurking in the back of my mind, not wanting to confront or acknowledge the possibility. It was a long 15 minutes. When the results were in, I saw the x-ray.




No comments:

Post a Comment